Wednesday, November 21, 2007

France??

We've been in some pretty deep discussions lately about an opportunity that Grant has been given. We have friends and colleagues who live and work in France and have offered Grant a position as a post-doctoral fellow for a year.

Our current hope is for Grant to finish his dissertation December 2008 and if we go we would move to France in January 2009 and stay for 1 year.

Funny thing is that when I first heard about this I was immediately like ok lets go... on board and ready for an adventure. As we've gotten more input from people the decision has gotten more and more confusing. Some people think that a post-doc in Europe may adversely affect Grant's career prospects, others think it will boost them, still others say who cares and that we should go just for the opportunity to live abroad. We recently spoke with a very wise man, called Dr. Klug...he did a post-doc in Germany and all he could say was... WHY AREN'T YOUR BAGS PACKED!! To still further the confusion...we aren't sure if I will be able to get a visa to work over there. Maybe good cuz I can just play and if people visit I will have no obligations... maybe not so good cuz I get really sad and down when I have too much time on my hands. Today I spoke with a European woman that I work with and she thought I was crazy to worry about a work visa...she said they are easy to get..especially in France. And I spoke with Dr.Klug's wife (she didnt work while they lived in Germany) and she was like...this is the one time in your life when people won't let you work...live it up!

Hmmmm...what are we to do? I think at the moment we are definitely leaning toward going, but we've been back and forth. At this point I don't think we are in a rush to make a decision, but we will have to figure it out in the coming months. I think I REALLY want to go, but I know things will be hard...like the fact that we would need to try to learn some semblance of French in the next year.

We would live in Grenoble... see it?? It is kind of near Italy and the Alps?? Oh and did I mention I've been to Grenoble and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen??



Climbing in Grenoble September 2006

5 comments:

jenni said...

oh wow! we would visit! Lilly is a big fan of rock climbing =)

Leslie & Lucas said...

You guys should definitely do it!!! I am biased though because I want to come visit! Hope all is well!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hey lovers,

This Gregg, and I vote that you go to France for two reasons:
1. I heard they make pretty good french bread.
2. It is the birth place of French Fries!
3. You can swear and it is expected because you are French.
4. You don't have to wear underwear and it is okay.
5. They have a famous bike race...but I can't remember the name of it right now. Evidently it is a pretty big deal though.

Peace out,

Gregg

Lindsey said...

I think you should go...however I am biased like Leslie, and would want to visit!!!

J Manson Squared said...

Just imagine, people would say "what have you been up to" and you could respond "Oh we just spent the weekend in Rome or London or Paris or any other amazing little European town". I say you only live once and savor every opportunity that is put in front of you. We're excited for your new adventures what ever your choice may be! Love, Julie and Jason