Sunday, March 30, 2008
Friday, March 28, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
this is how i feel almost every day of my life...is that normal??
Monday, March 24, 2008
Sunday, March 23, 2008
(obviously this is grant's creation...ask him for the history here)
(this is me & chou who is in his new tank...much happier)
it might be just me, but i think these are funny...
(i'm so proud of this grass...made from construction paper run through our shredder...genius!)
it was an amazingly beautiful day (again) so we decided to go to the sealion caves,
Friday, March 21, 2008
Thursday, March 20, 2008
on a happier note...today marks exactly
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
as we enjoyed the beauty of bend we ran from meeting to meeting (usually getting lost in between) and got a lot done. our last stop on sunday was at aspen hall (where we are getting married). we met with the caterer and worked out some details then went to work. our goal was to finalize the layout of the ceremony & reception, as well as finalize the details of the decor. it took a few hours, but we put all the tables in place and carefully measured so we'll know how to make it happen september 20th!
and this is the little video i made for grant so he could get a good visual of what the ceremony area would look like... excuse the gushy stuff =)
Friday, March 14, 2008
anyhow, a few things that happened tonight made us feel a little more hopeful about people and restored our faith that good people are out there. we decided to eat at jackalope for dinner (they have the most amazing burgers - for only $5.50!! with fries!) anyway we were sort of chatting with an older couple sitting near us on and off while we ate. they were warning me that i didn't have enough light to do the craft i had brought along (more on that later) - didn't want me to ruin my eyes. anyhow, we were just hanging out after we ate finishing our beer and watching a basketball game. as i mentioned i was crafting - swedish weaving (see example below) - a towel for a wedding we are going to next month. the bartender (a manly man in his late 20s/early 30s) asked me what i was making - i explained and he told me how great he thought they were and that i should sell them. i just thought that was the best compliment (especially since i was sitting in a sports pub with a needle and thread...most would find this weird). i will now be moving on to making this bartender towels... he is nice...
then we went downstairs to close our tab and the nice bartender informed us that the people upstairs had already covered us. WHAT?@?!! complete strangers we had barely talked to paid for our dinner! we couldn't believe it. we went upstairs and thanked them. they told us they just thought we were such nice kids and wanted to do something nice for us!
i know its a small thing, but we left the bar with a newfound faith in people...
on that note...i'm headed to bend for a weekend of wedding stuff with the girls! i'll be back sunday with lots of new stuff to report!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
my dad is awesome and is paying for the whole honeymoon! since we are getting married in the fall we can't go anywhere where there is hurricane danger so we decided on cabo san lucas, mexico.
neither of us have ever been there so we are really pumped! we are leaving the monday after the wedding and staying at this amazing hotel for 8 nights and 9 days. we decided to go with an all-inclusive place so that we don't have to worry about money much while we are there.
check out this link to see a story about a study that jess did for her dissertation! (that is me in the picture =)... hot shorts, huh??)
look at the editor's note:
Editor's Note: The study described above was chosen soon after its online publication by "Faculty of 1000 Biology," an online research service founded in 2002 that highlights top research publications in biology, as a "must read" article for scientists involved in this area of research.
YAY!! Jess...your hard work is paying off!
Monday, March 10, 2008
1. i would win money ($50) no matter what
2. i would get cool pictures of my brain
Sunday, March 9, 2008
we were very worried about the weather, but we were blessed with the most beautiful day! sometimes i forget how close we are to the coast and how soothing it can be. i need to go there more.
we started in florence
and then headed up to heceta head, where we saw sealions and a bald eagle. the only other time i've seen a bald eagle was in the grand tetons when we got engaged!
our final destination was cape perpetua...this is my absolute favorite little place on the oregon coast. there are the most amazing views and TIDEPOOLS. i adore touching all the little creatures.
Friday, March 7, 2008
it makes me want to be a midwife more than ever before....
1. What was I doing 10 years ago?
I was loving life as an 8th grader at Rowe Jr. High - we seriously thought we ruled the world. Sadly our school split into two high schools so the majority of my friends went to our rival.
2. Five things to do/did today?
- pipetted urine
- spent 3 hours perusing marthastewart.com (and using Google Notebook)
- drank my favorite dutch bros coffee
- made appointments to meet with caterers and bakers in bend next weekend
- ate banana bread for dinner
3. Favorite snack?
lately it is a tie between an iced nonfat vanilla latte from dutch bros and samoa girl scout cookies
4. What would I do if I were suddenly a billionarie?
pay off our school debt, travel, buy a house on lots of land near a city/town we love, buy TONS of craft supplies and time/skill to do them all, share it, buy clothes....oh man lots of clothes
5. Name 3 of your bad habits.
- always assuming the worst
- hoping for time to pass more quickly/not living in the moment
- letting those closest to me bear the brunt of my moods/emotions
- research coordinator at ORI
- human anatomy lab instructor at University of Oregon
- office assistant at Roehl & Sittner financial advising
- grocery checker at WinCo in Springtucky
- stencil painter for city of milwaukie (SUCKED...i had to wear an orange reflective shirt all summer and drive a utility truck...one day our assignment was to clear brush from a water reservoir and i stepped on a bee hive...first time i got stung and it was 9 times...there are so many more stories)
7. Five things people don't know about me.
- I've lost 8 pounds in the past few months
- I have a tattoo and used to have a nose ring and bellybutton ring
- My mom has 11 brothers and sisters (HUGE Irish Catholic family back in Boston)
- I danced for 14 years (tap, jazz, ballet, etc)
- I never thought I would get married...
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
I will share some of the new discoveries I have made this week in an attempt to persuade you to appreciate the amazingness that is GOOGLE!
- Google Calendar - I've known about this for quite sometime, but what I love is the newly released ability for the google calendar to sync itself to outlook. This is awesome because my work calendar is difficult to access from home. Now I can set google to sync itself to outlook however often i want!
- Google Transit - This is what inspired this post...SO COOL! Have you ever tried to use public transportation and you wanted to shoot yourself in the head?? Suicide is no longer the only option! You just type in your start and end point and what time you need to be there by and it will figure out all the connections! This also has huge possibilities for travel because they are set up for public transport all over the world.
- Google Notebook - This is a handy little thing that allows you to take snippets from websites and save them in electronic notebooks. I can see this being very handy for recipes, wedding ideas, and craft ideas! OOO and also photo tutorials.
DO YOU SEE WHY I HEART GOOGLE??
i have to admit my favorite thing about being a blog lurker is that it leads me to other amazing resources, webpages, and.............. other BLOGS!
well yesterday i watched the tuesday talky on rosie o'donnell's blog (i know people think she is annoying, but i love her...) and she told me about TED.com i told grant about it and he informed me that he heard about it from rick, but hadn't looked at it yet. then today i checked this blog and there was mention of it...now i have to check it out.
apparently it is just an amazing little site with short videos of 'ideas worth spreading' it features presentations from a conference held every year that invites 'the worlds greatest thinkers and doers' anyway... since i'm a blog whore and I didn't know about this site i thought i should pass along the gains of my many hours online. hope you enjoy!
....can you tell i like to add hyperlinks?? you know it is starting to get out of control when you search for words you can link to other places.....
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Today I finished it and I am VERY proud of how it turned out! You should click on stuff... all the links work! I used an html template and then altered it for what we needed. Ever since I took a computer information science class at UO I've loved to do simple web design, but never really have a need. I also did some design for this project.
Monday, March 3, 2008
The highlights were listening to the student talks and the cowbell that the conference organizers deemed appropriate to warn people they were going over time. Funny thing is the most prestigious of the speakers was the only one to get cow belled... WOW!
Here are a few pictures...
this is the boy presenting his poster...
taking a break...