Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pesto!

IMG_1584

Life has significantly calmed down and I FINALLY (after three weeks and two rounds of antibiotics) am free of ear infections! I am going to get this blog updated with what we have been doing the past few months. I'm going way back to mid-August with this one! 

All summer we had more basil than we knew what to do with - our basil plants looked like bushes and there were four of them! I decided that I needed to spend an afternoon turning it all into pesto before the season ended. 

IMG_1590

I used this recipe - except that pine nuts are like a gazillion dollars in the midwest (maybe because we don't have lots of pine trees??) so I used walnuts. When I ran out of walnuts I used almonds and I can't tell a difference in the taste. 

IMG_1595

YUM! I LOVE pesto and it is so expensive to buy so I was pumped! I bought cute little jars to put it in and I almost fooled myself into thinking I was canning (something I really want to learn). 

IMG_1604

Really though I just put it all up in the freezer for safe keeping - and the recipe says omit the cheese if you are going to freeze - I really don't think its necessary unless you have a really sophisticated palate or something. Tastes good to me! 

No comments: